Friday, December 2, 2011

Dad

My father passed away 20 years ago this month and I just wanted to say to those of you out there that still have both your parents to cherish them even if you argue or even if you don't because there are no words to explain the loss of a parent. Every year I try to find a way to remember my dad in a unique way..... this year I wrote him a letter in a christmas card and even though he can't read it I still felt better afterwards...this is what my letter says to him
     Dad,
        Not a day goes by that I don't miss you. It's been 20 very long years. I don't remember much except for the fact that you were wonderful. You were always happy to see me and always happy to play games with me no matter how sick you were even down to the last few days of your life. I will never forget you and everything you taught me. Lena is beautiful I wish you could see her in person. I think of you all the time. We missed you at the wedding. I wanted so badly for you to be there or anyone from your family to be there, but mom was the only one and Jasmine. Aunt Elaine and Uncle Ed were there too. I know you can't be here with us but I'd give almost anything to just have a conversation with you again to be able to hug you again. I hope that you look down and smile everytime you see us. Someday we will be reunited.
                                                                Love Spivey
ps I hope that you are with us in spirit that God may have granted you the kindness of watching over your family. Miss you and love you always.... R.I.P 12-07-1991


You see my dad died of cancer and the last few days of his life he spent in the hospital. I was four years old at the time and the last time I saw him we were sitting on his hospital bed finishing a puzzle book with a yellow high lighter. When it was time for me to go he gave me the book and the pen and the last words I ever heard from him were Spivey don't worry about me I'll be okay daddy loves you and I'll be home for christmas. He gave me a goodbye kiss and then I had to leave because he was too sick for me to be there anymore. I don't remember much after that except for the fact that he never came home for christmas ever again and I remember asking my mom why not. ....

So please let this painful story be a lesson to those of you who take your parents or family for granted you never know when someone will leave this earth. Cherish your loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment